Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Burp Cloth Tutorial & Diaper Cake

I have been fighting my urges to post this cutie diaper cake until now and YAY finally I can!!  This past weekend I attended a baby shower for a friend.  She is having her second child, miracle baby- 8 YEARS after her first and only other child.  The theme of the shower was "Ahoy, it's a boy!"  This was perfect because in my abundance of flannel fabrics, I had this adorable lobster print that I've been dying to use!  I decided to keep this one simple and just wrap each layer in handmade burp cloths.

(If you want instructions on making a diaper cake, see THIS post.) 

Last year, when I was working on my very first diaper cake, I wanted to also gift burp cloths.  I came across THIS super easy tutorial and have never looked back!  I did some tweaking, as any crafter does...

What you need:
*1 yd each of 2 coordinating fabrics (I have had a couple friends request the same pattern fabric on both sides, which works just the same)
*Coordinating thread

Directions:
1.  Wash and dry your flannel.  Some people advise against this because flannel has a tendency to shift and get a little wonky.  But, I would rather work with the wonkiness than have the end results dry weird for the new Momma.
2.  Cut into 10"x16" rectangles  (my measurements are smaller than hers, but I find this size a little more manageable)
3.  Line up 2 rectangles with Right Sides facing together
4.  Start in the middle of one of the sides and sew all the way around, leaving about a 4 inch opening to turn it right side out.  I usually use a 1/4" seam.
5.  Turn right side out- use a chop stick, drum stick or your finger to completely unfold all the corners.  (Some people snip their corners to keep the bulk down.  I have never found the bulk to be overwhelming, so I never cut mine).
6.  Flatten or smooth out your seams.  I don't iron mine, but feel free if you want to.  I do make sure the seams are smoothed out and laying flat.
7.  Tuck in your 4 inch opening so it is in line with the rest of the seam.
8.  Sew all the way around the edge of the burp cloth, using a 1/4" seam again (maybe a little less).
9.  Trim up your threads and give yourself a pat on the back!

I'm sorry for the lack of pictures...I sometimes prefer to just have the steps, especially since I linked the tutorial where I obtained all my info.  Next time I make some burp cloths, I will try to take photos and add them back in.

Now, for my finished diaper cake!  I just love this one...probably my favorite to date! (O:

2 comments: