Thursday, December 29, 2011

Packing Nightmares

Call me crazy, but I really enjoy packing.  Whether it be for a weekend trip or moving somewhere new, I actually look forward to organizing the packing boxes and making my lists of what we will need and when.  Somewhere between our flash move from Herrick last month and now, however, I have lost my love for packing.  It is turning into slightly more of a panic.  Our next move won't be as fun or easy, I'm afraid to say.

Due to the high costs of shipping personal items overseas, Jason and I decided that we would only take what we could pack in suitcases and carry-on bags.  Lucky for us, Saipan is an island on only one season- HOT.  Some of the local blogs we've come across mention a "cooler season", but I'm fairly certain it doesn't go much lower than 80 during the day.  Which, of course, means this hot-natured lady will be living in tank tops and bermuda shorts. (O:  So, at least I don't have to worry about bulky hooded sweatshirts and fleece pants taking up my suitcase space!  I spent some time today trying to find some articles/blogs/tips on packing to move overseas, but there really isn't much out there.  At least, there aren't many people writing about only using suitcases and carry-ons.  I intend to post our final lists of what we packed and how, just in case someone ever comes across this blog while searching for their own packing tips.

Like I said, we are only taking suitcases.  The last time I checked with our airline (yes, I keep calling to make sure nothing has changed...I'm insane), I was told we get our first checked bag for free as well as one carry-on bag.  Any additional checked bags will be $50 each.  After talking this over with Jason, we decided it was a worthwhile investment to each check one additional bag- 6 checked bags total.  My hope is that this will give us plenty of room for our clothes as well as a few personal items and some comfort toys for Emilia.  I'm waiting for yard sale season in hopes of finding some large suitcases for good prices.  We only have 2 of our own so far.  Jason is also checking his golf clubs and bike since it will be cheaper to pay the checked item fee than it would be to purchase something on the island.  I don't really think you can check a sewing machine, but he thinks I will be able to pick one up for relatively cheap once we get there.

I also found out (big victory here!!) that we can bring Emilia's carseat AND stroller for free!!  We can gate check them for no charge!  Talk about great news!  From what Jason had found online, a new carseat on island would have cost at least $300!  I don't even want to know what a replacement jogging stroller would have cost...I'm just so thankful that we will be able to bring ours along.  Jason thinks they will be a annoying to lug through the airport, and he is probably correct.  But, I will take being inconvinienced for 26 hours over trying to squeeze an extra $500ish out of our already tight budget!

Ok, I feel like I got a little off track just now...sorry about that.  (O:  Packing.  Oh, packing.  I have been stocking up on cute(r) tanks and trying to find bermuda shorts.  I actually have a pretty decent collection already.  Now I have to really look at what I have, what I wear, etc. and start making some decisions.  I really don't want to look like a complete slob while we are there, and the only way I think I can keep this from happening is to have a good stock of ruffle/otherwise embellished tanks.  That way I can keep cool and comfy, but look a little put together.  Jason also gave me a few dri-wick tees for Christmas, so those will be super great!  As far as shoes go, I plan to only bring my running shoes and lots of flip flops- Nike ones for everyday and cute ones for dressier days/church/etc.  I don't see myself needing ballet flats over there (*tear*) nor any of my lovely heels (*two tears*).  I will bring a pair or two of jeans because all the photos we see online have people in jeans.  Jason swears he thinks eventually the evening temp of 77 will feel "cool" to me, and I guess we will have to wait and see on that one.  It's not that I don't believe him, I just don't know if our "cool"-meters are the same.  A few neckalces, bracelets, chargers, hair stuff, DEODERANT, and so on and I think I'm good to go.  Like I said, I will post our final packing list once we actually get to that point.

As far as Emilia goes- this is where it gets tricky.  She will be 3 when we leave and I imagine most of her 2t shorts and skirts will still fit.  Tops she will need the 3t for length.  I've been purchasing ahead for her as well, but don't necessarily have to bring it all with us in July.  Jason's parents are coming for a visit in December, I think, and my mom is coming sometime the following summer.  So between them both, as well as shipping if needed, we can get the rest of E's bigger sizes before they are an emergency need.  I'm more worried about figuring out a way to pack several of her favorite toys.  This change is going to be huge for her and I want to be able to offer her as many comfort items as I can.  Not to mention, we have lots of great learning toys/games that I want to be able to utilize once I'm (Finally) a Stay-At-Home-Momma!!  (Can I get a WooHoo!!?)  (O:

Anyway, these are some of the things that have been on my mind lately.  I know it's too early to let packing stress me out too much...but, it feels good to get it off my chest.  I better get back to working on our support letter.  We want to send them out early next week and I'm still trying to finish my research on how to put them together for long-term missions.

Have a great day! (O:

No comments:

Post a Comment